Saturday, October 14, 2006

A Sabbath Saturday Afternoon

It's a Saturday afternoon in October...a quiet one. I have vegetated on my computer and football on TV for the last few hours, but just recently shifted to the baseball playoffs.
I have enjoyed today, if for no other reason that I've had very little "to do". I got up and spent some time reading...bible, then newspapers. Then Tully and I went for a brief run. I didn't really want to run, but he kept standing next to me whining about "c'mon elliott, it's that time of the day, get off your butt and let's go out in the cold!
So...we jogged for a while. I love being out in the morning with him. This morning the geese flew in formation overhead and Tully kept turning his head around trying to figure out what his duty was in relation to the noise from the skies.
I have heard that the geese fly in that "V" formation because they are working with each other - a community at work -providing enough draft to spell each other and make it possible to go longer distances. Not a bad idea...I think we humans should try it sometime.
I got back with Tull, and decided to "suck up" some leaves with my blower/grinder...which is one of those "man" toys that make lots of noise and you can see progress because the leaves disapppear and everything ends up in the bag. Then I put the lawn bag on and mowed the lawn, basically chewing up the leaves that have begun to fall.
FALL... The season we that means "you're going to rake a lot of leaves before this month is up".

In all of this, there is satisfaction. I spent some time quietly this morning...thinking, meditating, praying...followed by exercise...and some enjoyable work...then football (Badgers kicked Gopher butt)...and then more football...with some baseball thrown in for fun.
OH YEAH...and I had the enjoyment of listening to "Click and Clack" on public radio this morning while working...
This is a Sabbath Saturday afternoon.

No comments: