Monday, September 18, 2006

Four weeks into it

Well, it's been four weeks into being a pastor again...so far, no desires to drive my car off a cliff. I have enjoyed -- for the most part -- being back in this thing called "Pastor"...or should I say "pastor".
I had an interesting conversation with a guy who came to buy the old oven we had in the garage. We got into a conversation about what he did, where he lived, etc...and then he asked me "so, you're a teacher, huh?" I didn't know how he knew that I taught, but understood that Linda had told him that info. I said "Yes", and then he asked, "So where do you teach?" I told him about the training community and the 35 or so, (largely) twenty-somethings that I get to teach. Then he asks, "What's the name of it?" I replied, "Mad City Training Community".
"Interesting name...what's that?"
OK...he's got me. I have to start talking about the Training Community as a part of the church, and that I'm a pastor. "Oh, that's good...I don't have to worry since you're a man of the cloth." Smile...
There's this web site that I often go into. When it came to filling out some info on who, where, what...I wrote "educator".
It's not that I'm ashamed of being a pastor; but, it sounds so "sterile". Pastors have been around since the beginning of the church. The Apostle Paul said "appoint elders" and "God gave to the church: apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors/teachers." So, I prefer the second part of that gifting...teacher to pastor. Why? I value teaching. I value thinking...learning...the process of growth in learning. I have grown so much through those who invested themselves in me...to guide, encourage, and develop what they saw inside. I simply want to return the gift to others.
This is something I genuinely love to do.
So...four weeks back into getting paid to do what I love to do...it's going ok.

No comments: