Saturday, September 02, 2006

Summer Over, Yeah!

I have to admit, I'm not ever sorry to see Summer come to a close. I know there are people who love the summer...I just don't get it. Hot, Humid, always perspiring...never able to take off enough stuff to get comfortable. Granted, not every feels as I do. There are people who love the summer hot weather and grieve the passing of summer to Fall...I am not one of them!

Fall...now that brings a smile to my face. It's my favorite time of the year. The weather is clearer, the temperatures "fall" to very nice 60's & 70's in the daytime, and perfect sleeping weather. While it's still fairly humid, the lower temps lead to lower humidity. I have the windows open and the air is fresh...not soggy as it is during the summer. The leaves begin to turn...every morning as I jog I look up to see if I can see anything changing. The sumac on the back hill have a touch of red already, but everything else remains fairly green. The early morning jogs in the early Fall are quiet and the country side drips with low hanging fog over the majority of the countryside. As we walked this morning, the sun began to rise and the light began to burn back the low hanging clouds to allow the air to dry out. At the beginning of Sept. the daytime is still almost 13 hours. By the end of the month, it is less than 12 hours. I love the early sunsets, and the nightime quietness, stillness, and slowness to life that comes with this shifting season.

What is there not to love?
The apples come to ripeness...the tomatoes and zucchini are ready to pick. The squash and pumpkins are not far behind, and because it's finally cooler, the oven can be used to bake some delectable dishes.
The school year begins, which for me means the Training Center year is about to begin -- this now the 5th year for me.
I love looking at the little kids as they march down the street in new clothes, new backpacks, shoes, and for the most part, smiles on their faces.
And most of all...the Fall means Football begins. It's Saturday as I write this. The first couple of games have been played. Not very thrilling as of yet, but I love football. The game can be on in the background and I may not pay much attention to every game, but I enjoy the atmosphere.
Our Packers have a very "tough road to hoe". They may not do well, but right now at the beginning of the year, everyone is a champion.
My Badgers hold more promise for an enjoyable year than the Pack...but we'll see how things look after tonight's first game.

Fall, Autumn...I'm smiling.

No comments: