Tuesday, January 03, 2006

New Year and Happy Sad

Ok, it's now January 3...I've made it through the first of the year and celebrated with 6 hours of football on Sunday, and 6 more on Monday!!! The good news is the Badgers won...kicked Auburn butt!! No one gave them a ice cubes chance in hell; but they did it anyway. I watched the game with Andy and Linda. Then, in the evening, Andy and I watched the Notre Dame/Ohio State game...six hours yesterday. Previous to that, on New Year's Day, I watched the end of the Mike Sherman era and the Packers. They fired him...hey Mike, been there, done that...you'll survive. As a wacky prophetic aquaintance of mine told me two years ago -- "I've never met anyone worth their spit who hasn't been fired at least once in their life."
I said Happy Sad...I wasn't sad that Mike Sherman got fired. I feel badly for him; but then again he has a severance package of 3.2 million dollars for next year...he'll be crying all the way to the bank! I think Mike will be a coach in the NFL again. I could be sad for the 4 and 12 record the Packers had this year...but I'm not. The cup is half full when you realize we get the fifth pick in the next draft, which means we finally will get a quality pick in the next draft. I'm not sad because the season is almost over with...there is always next year to look forward to and the break for the next 8 months gives me time to focus on more important things than the 4 months of football offers me.
The fact is that most of life is Happy...AND, I don't mean that I have good "happenings" all of the time. It's my opinion that a lot of people base their happiness on their happenings. In otherwords, anyone can be happy if they get a lot of money...but then again, I have seen a lot of people who had positions of power, money, big homes, lots of material things...jet set, fly all over the world on vacations, etc...and deep down inside they are miserable people. Happiness isn't based on happenings!
NOW...having said that I am SAD about something that is happening. The SAD is Seasonal Affective Disorder -- a fancy way of saying the Sun hasn't shined through the grey skies for the last two weeks! In short, I'm suffering from the lack of sunlight. My daughter in England has had more sunlight than we have in Wisconsin...and everyone knows that the sun never shines in England during the winters (ok, it does shine at least once for a couple of minutes in January). On a serious side, SAD -- as sunlight deficiency is called -- is for some people a serious problem, so I don't mean to make light of the need. SAD is a part of the winter malaise that seems to hit us all. Part of it is chemical...we need Vitamin A(or is it D) that sunlight provides.
But, I'm not depressed...just hungry for Mr. Sun (or is it Ms Sun) to shine. It hit me today as I walked into the training center offices and a jet flew over on it's way to landing at Truax field. Normally I can look up and see a jet a couple of hundred feet or so off the ground and read the numbers on the side...this time I couldn't even see the Jet!!! I thought, I hope they can see the runway before they land!
SO...please pray for the sun to shine over Madison, Wisconsin. There is much to be Happy about...there is this one SAD thing going on.

2 comments:

Mary said...

agreed! i hadn't seen the sun for seven days until it poked its head out from the clouds for a few minutes on new year's day. i keep trying to imagine i am in a great mystery novel where the author demands the weather be consistently overcast and rainy. i light candles as soon as i get home from work to add to the romance of it all ... and to prevent me from going insane from the lack of sunlight.

anyway, i'm with you.

Anonymous said...

12 hours of football in 2 days, Elliott...you're my hero! The lack of sun is definetly a downer, I'm finding that time spent outside, regardless of the weather, is extremely helpful. I'm going to be bold and say that I think you should write in your blog more. I love the way you think, I benefit from it. I'm looking foward to Wednesday.