Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Teaching Truth From TV

I have been thinking...and thinking..."pondering" is the biblical, meditative, and intellectual word that goes with thinking. "Brain Frying" is the less than intellectual, meditative or reflective way of saying where I've arrived.
My head is clouded over with way too many thoughts...thinking at times strains my mind and gets me bound up in a franctic search for just the right way to think.
OK..so what's it all about?
Teaching...specifically teaching at my church once a month in 2006.
I hit upon an idea that I'm going to flesh out here...not necessarily because it will complete the circle and make it all come together, but perhaps some of you will help me think.
I'm thinking about teaching a series of messages from TV themes.
Let's start with "Lost". A story of a group of people whose airplane crashes and they find themselves on an island. That has potential. Are we a bunch of people who don't know where we are, don't know how or if we will ever be discovered, and therefore don't know whether to build with the future in mind, or whether to "hunker down" and just make what we have work?
The "Amazing Race". A group of people all racing around the world trying to survive each round so that they can advance to the million dollar payoff. It makes me wonder what it takes to get people to venture out of the safe confines of the west to really see the world. Mostly though I think of the idea of "running the race so as to win the prize" that Paul talks about.
"CSI" -- big show (#1 in all polls). I've watched it a few times. It's birthed several "CSI" offshoots....Miami, New York, Navy...all of them based on the idea of solving the mysteries of death. It speaks loudly of our need to solve the problems of evil...in their case it's all scientific, but there is enough to let us realize that science can solve the problem of evil.
"America's Home Makeover" -- a really feel good show about how needy people go from rags to riches in terms of their homes. I love watching people get a new home...wished it could happen to every poor family in the world. It's a weekly show on "grace"...we get what we don't deserve, and way beyond our imagination.
I don't watch a lot of TV. I watch "Lost" with Linda, and as well, "The Amazing Race". The only other weekly regular is "West Wing"...which I can't quite figure out yet how to make into a teaching theme.
I suppose ESPN should factor into this somehow, don't you? NCAA football, NFL football, some basketball (March madness), a little baseball (mainly during playoffs), but definitely should be a part of life somehow. At least my sons will agree!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sir, it's jeff.
I love that idea... but if we're talking church shouldn't espn boxing or U.F.C stuff be in there somewhere... since we spend so much time beating each other up:) just kidding... kind of!

I love You

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Elliott,
I am so glad that you are going to preaching lots and lots this year!! I love the idea of you preaching from t.v. shows. Let,s face it...most people watch t.v. so most people will be able to relate to your messages. Plus it will give people an opportunity help people look at media-the "non-religious" and find really deep and meaningful insights into God's heart for them. We all need practice finding God in "ungodly" places-especially places that we travel frequently in our lives (like the couch for our favorite weekly shows) I love it and I think you are amazing. You preaching will make going to church so much more fun:)And if you want some creativity with those power points, I am your man.