Tuesday, February 14, 2006

What I love

It's Valentine's Day...that immortal quest to remember what we love! Ahhhh...that's what I started thinking about this morning.
It was easy at first...I woke up to the same person I've slept with most of my Adult life -- My wife Linda! It's easy to love her...I can't even explain it more than that.
I went on thinking about this... My Son is sleeping in the next room...Yes, My children -- they are easy to love. Last Saturday, I awoke to a sudden realization -- I needed a mental health day, or at least a day away from this freaking computer! What to do? Shopping? No, I Hate shopping (unless it's for wine and computer stuff). "Linda, I know, let's drive down to Chicago, watch Greg coach his 5th grade basketball team, and take Kelly & Greg out for lunch." Kelly says, "Great..." And off we go...2 and a half hours down, one hour for basketball, one hour for lunch, and 2 and 1/2 hours back...what a neat way to spend a day -- one of my kids. That's another thing I love...My kids...
Lindsay's coming home soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I read her blog today....then read Chris' blog....then started reading other's blogs....My Steph's, EJ's, Mary's... I love my kids...I love the children I gained through their marriages -- I've got some really, really, really neat adopted into the family children: Thanks Greg, Sarah lovely, and Peter. I've got some suggestions to my kids: Lindsay, win the lottery and buy a second home in Wisconsin...come live 6 months here and 6 months back in England. Chris, I'm proud of you wherever you land, but I do hope it's not too far away. Andy, you continue to amaze me...thanks for loving me well. Kelly, I was struck all over again with how beautiful you are when I saw you Saturday...my, oh my. OH YEAH....LINDSAY IS COMING HOME!!!

But there's more...I love the people God has given to me as a gift. I've gotten an opportunity to "adopt" relationally a whole bunch of children -- the tribe! I don't care if they're in their 20's (and a couple of made it to 30)...Anything 30 years younger than me is still going to be one of the kids.
It hit's me...My life is very rich! I love lots of things, and highest on the list is people who make me very fulfilled.
I love lots of other things too... Coffee (especially early in the morning), Wine (doesn't really make any difference what time of the day it is :), Good books, Classical Music...and lots of other music also- Jazz, Rock, World music...

Isn't life much more full when you sit down to "remember" how richly God has loved us? Happy Valentine's day -- and in the words of Mama Cass: "This is dedicated to the one I love".

2 comments:

ericj. said...

I like that you can state who you love very easily. I appreciate reading that. Since love is a fairly difficult thing for me to say, I try and replace it with actions.

Well, I suppose I should start saying it when I mean it. Life is too short to not acknowledge those that you truly love, right?

Thanks for being part of my extendo family, Big E, you are truly loved by me.

Anonymous said...

Hey Elliott,
I love you dearly....And I am so excited that my name made it to your blog!!! Thank you for all of the ways that you have welcomed me into your family. Thank you for your kind and strong words that have helped guide me over the last 3 1/2 years of knowing you. My life is enriched because of you.