Monday, October 17, 2005

Heart Exercises

OK...I've re-started my blog...Inspired by my children. I love reading theres' but I don't necessarily know just what to say when I get to these times...SO...I hope this isn't just an exercise in futility.

It's one of those October days that has a bit of everything...this morning it was cool and rained, by this afternoon it was in the upper 60's and Sunny...a beautiful day. I love walking outside in weather like this.
I've been doing some jogging of late with Tertullian (Tully to everyone else). He likes to get out and I need the exercise. We tend to go out for about two miles, sometimes less. It's a good 20 minutes of heart beating faster than normal...I guess that's the goal. I need heart exercise. I turned 56 last month, not getting any younger. I also need the heart exercise that is spiritual. I'm in a bit of a funk of late. Funny, I'm teaching three to five times each week and talking about God at every session; but I've kind of hit a wall in the Spiritual side of me.
Everytime I think of the heart as the spiritual ME, I slow down...I think it's the Henri Nouwen effect. "The Way of the Heart", "The Return of the Prodigal Son", his many other writings remind me that MY heart is everything.

I love teaching...but I think about retiring.
I love the students...but I enjoy quiet space alone.
I love football....there aren't any "buts"!

Mom and I went up to Daniel and Sara Kuhfuss' wedding on Saturday. I saw old friends...naturally Bill and Sharon, but also Stan & Faye, as well as Arlan and Sandy. Arlan is doing well...or so it seems. He has now been in his wheelchair and unable to walk for almost 6 years. Still his "heart" seems good. He is looking at the positive side of it, and although honest about the desire to walk...he's not going to turn towards bitterness should it not come. I admire him for that. The church in Randolph is without a pastor right now and they wanted me to come back...but when they asked me all I could do was lower my head and rub it...it hurt to even think about going back to Pastoring.

My heart...that's what I'm musing on these days. It has plenty of exercise, but I'm working on not allowing it to get too hard!

That's it for now!

No comments: