Saturday, March 18, 2006

Eatin' Crap

This morning Linda and I joined Dan & Jennie Sandridge on a morning walk...with our two dogs, Tully (our 10 month old Golden Retriever) and Micah (their 11 month old Golden Retriever). The two dogs have met twice now and it was love at first site...ok, maybe not love because they are both males and I don't want to get into that kind of a mess, but they really really like one another. They ran to each other as soon as they saw each other and played and played and played.

The walk consisted of allowing the dogs to run free as we walked along the bicycle trail that runs near our house in Cottage Grove. This trail is a wonderfully flat old railroad bed that actually goes from Cottage Grove to near Milwaukee! Some 80 miles if I am correctly assessing the distance. The dogs ran ahead, either playing with each other, or sticking their noses into the ground to smell who had dropped the latest "animal dew". I was telling Dan that we really had to watch Tully because he has the habit of grabbing "animal logs" (excrement, crap, shit, whatever you want to call it). Dan replied that Micah does a lot of sniffing, but no eating. Wow, I thought, if only I could get Tully to leave it alone, I could probably handle the sniffing. About that time, Micah dove into the side of the trail and even though he was told to come back, he remained fixed on a "clump" of what only looked like a mass of leaves. We managed to get him to drop it and went on ahead. Later on the return, having forgotten all about this mass of something, Micah ran far ahead, and we all too late realized he was headed for the leaf mass. Before Dan could stop him...well let's just say it wasn't a pretty site. He ate it all!!! And, he smelled very, very bad! Inside, I'm going..."Way to go Tull"...he had listened, but I tried to be polite and sympathetic to Dan and Jenn as they had to contend with "what do we do with a dog that has just eaten a pile of crap?"
I got to thinking about that...it doesn't seem logical that anything that can think would want to eat something else's poop.
But, then again, I realize that we can all be prone to listening to the lies within...
"I'm never going to make it..."
"I can't do anything right..."
"Why am I so stupid?"
"What's wrong with me?"
I think that is the same thing as eatin crap myself!

No comments: