Saturday, November 12, 2005

A Quiet Soul

It's dark now...this Saturday afternoon in mid-Autumn means the Sun has set early and while the evening news is just beginning, the outside is dark. There's something very quieting about Autumn. The days are short, the evenings long, and our world slows down a bit...at least in the Northern Hemisphere!
I love this season of cooling air, warm heat, short days and long nights. I find my soul begins to catch up as my body slows down. I need that. I am much too prone to think that my real self is in my performances, in my public busyness and the accolades of people. My soul is a jumbled mess of Me...my will, my desires, my passions, my heart, and more. I hit the Fall running so fast that I don't even take time to quiet my soul...then comes Daylight Savings time...Maybe we should call it Soul Savings Time! I don't know why it changes me, but I know what happens to me -- I slow down, and my soul is quieter, my frustrations more subdued, my expectations more realistic, and my desire for quiet strong.
I started playing Christmas music the other day. I just wanted to start preparing for Christmas in my soul first. I'm not thinking about shopping, but I am celebrating the coming of my Lord. And I read, reflect, think...just think! It's a wonderful time for a quiet soul.

No comments: